Sunday, January 22, 2012

From the beginning.......

I suppose for my first blog entry I should show everyone the roots!  I started brewing with my brother in a tiny condo kitchen (seriously tiny! Only about 5' wide by about 10' deep....so don't tell me you don't have enough space to brew!)
I only brewed 1 or 2 extract brews until I jumped into all grain brewing.


Here is my original mash tun (vessel used to soak the grains in and pull out all of the sugars from the grain):
I used a PVC manifold with tiny slots cut into the bottom to filter the grain from the sweet liquid

Here she is full of grain and the beginnings of the wort


Here's my son helping drain the wort from the grain
 The boil pot on a turkey fryer
An example of what some hop pellets look like. The candy looking things is dark sugar (used in this case in a belgian style beer)
 After the boil the beer is cooled and then emptied into a carboy with the yeast added to start the fermentation process

 After fermentation and some aging is done....its time to bottle!


Since my original couple of brews my wife and I have bought a house and I now have a garage!!! That means less mess in the kitchen and a much happier wife!  Since I had a little bit more room to brew I have since expanded my "brew rig"

The black contraption is my chiller.  More on that later!




 Since then the cooler mash tun has been replaced....and some modifications had to be made!


Hope you have enjoyed my first blog post ever!  I will try to update this as much as I can and with as much information/pictures as I am able to.  




No comments:

Post a Comment